Saturday, September 17, 2011

Some You Lose, Some You Give Away


But oh, my love, don’t forget me as I let the water take me. 
||Florence & the Machine, "What the Water Gave Me"||

Oh yeah, life is bare, gloom and misery everywhere. Stormy weather, stormy weather, and I just can't get my poor self together. Oh, I'm weary all of the time, so weary all of the time. 
||Etta James, "Stormy Weather"||


The dream always starts the same. Somewhere in the dark of my sleep I become aware of a slow pulse of red light. At first, it’s dim, as if coming from a distance and through thick air. Something about the scene always terrifies me—although I’ve had the dream multiple times and now know what’s coming, even the first go around I could feel something wasn’t right. That I should run. But my feet are cemented and I stand a prisoner in the dark as the red light throbs closer and brighter. Eventually I can tell the light is coming from Christmas lights, the kind I used to have wrapped around my headboard. They gave my room a rosy glow. But these lights are different. Harsher. What they illuminate is tragedy at its worst. Eventually the details start to surface—the outline of the window panes, dark shadows of posters on walls, vague shapes of furniture. And then finally, the girl. Doll like, almost, she hangs from a pipe, limbs drained of life. I try to block the sight but my arms won’t move. I can make out the curve of her hair, the angle of her arm. And then just before I can see the grotesque sorrow written on her face . . . I wake up.

 I haven’t had the dream for a couple of months. The last time I had it, I was stressed out and sleep deprived during Practice Court. Before that, it surfaced a couple of times during the Summer of Celibacy. It happened most often at the tail end of my 2L year. It robbed me of sleep’s pleasure. And unlike most other dreams, I couldn’t comfort myself with a quick, “It was just a dream,” upon waking. Because it wasn’t just a dream. This nightmare happened—it serves as a real life example of the dark depths of sorrow and tragedy that will follow me the rest of my life.
               
The fact that this dream has resurfaced is symptomatic of the week I’ve been having. When it rains, it pours, so it figures that the thing I find most terrifying in my dreams has surfaced to keep me from the few hours of peace I afford myself a day. On top of that I have to worry about finding out if I pass the bar (which  creeps closer daily), finding a job, figuring out how to pay back my loans, how to make my car (which is falling apart) last, whether my ICD 9 codes are correct, why the hell my phone is strangely silent when it shouldn’t be, where I stand romantically, how to deal with most of my peers that I’m closest to being hundreds of miles away, worrying about Nurse’s mom who was in the hospital, worrying about my aunt (also my godmother) that was also in the hospital, and why the massive cocktail of drugs that I am on isn’t doing a thing to rid pressure, chills, and aches that are riddling my body. It’s just been one of those weeks.

But complaining wasn’t the point of this post, so excuse the digression. The reason this dream haunts me today, why that event will probably haunt a lot of people for a long time, is because there was no closure. And closure is key.

               
I’ve been thinking a lot about closure lately, and the role it plays in our lives. Closure in tragedies, closure in relationships, closure in books, novels, movies. One thing seems certain—most everyone craves it. Who hasn’t seen a story on Dateline ID where Lester Holt interviews a parent whose child has disappeared and the parent says, “I just wanted to know what happened to them, good or bad, though we were hoping for good.” Or in a tragedy such as a suicide, everyone wants to know why. Why did they do it? Could it have been stopped? Or in a relationship, where you obsess about what went wrong. Why did he stop talking to me for two years? And that’s when I realized what closure is—it is the absence of those nagging questions or of the drive to ask questions in the first place.

I have a friend—we’ll call him Professor X—and we have a very complicated past. We had a thing going on most of my senior year in college. It wasn’t healthy in the least bit. He wouldn’t commit which pissed me off and caused me to do stupid things. We were continually bickering. I was headstrong and so was he. It was a continual tug of war—who exerted the most influence over whom? Usually, I’ll admit, he won. And while a majority of the time I entertained notions of him in extreme pain, and although no one caused nearly as many of my tears that year as he did, he was a good kid, somewhere deep inside of the mess he’d become. It seems I have a knack for that—for picking diamonds in the rough. Only, I get them when they’re rough and other girls get them when they are emerald cuts.
               
Well, this guy, he grew into what I always knew he could be. He changed right before my eyes over the last couple of years. And what triggered that change was a girl. I always knew he had it in him—I just wasn’t the one to bring it out of him and neither was the parade of skanks that followed. Around this girl, he was different.
               
Professor X and his girlfriend broke up a few weeks ago. Since then, we’ve been talking constantly. We talk about his relationship, what went wrong, what he would do differently, what she could possibly be thinking. And trust me—I get the irony of the whole situation—I am counseling a boy through his grief that caused me a ton of it just a few years ago. But that’s the way life is—you never really see these things coming and it’s always the oddest shoulders you have to cry on when it matters.

              
I know that he’s having problems letting go. And I get why—he doesn’t have the closure he wants. He has questions he doesn’t have answers to. He has things he needs to say that he never got to say. He doesn’t know what she’s feeling or why she’s feeling that way. He is lost in the storm of his first true love and he doesn’t have the closure he needs to find his way out of it. And he doesn’t know when it will come.
               
Now that it seems I’m likely to join him shortly on the HMS Misery, we were talking tonight—him being the counselor and addict all in one--and I posed a question that I realized summed up our situations, and possibly every other situation, in a sentence.
               
When do you know when to say “Uncle” and give up?
              
Lacking closure can do funny things. It can keep you hanging on to the ghost of a person or a relationship. In my first brush with real, mutual feelings between myself and a boy, I freaked out and stopped talking to the kid—stopped taking his calls, ran off with another guy. It all was too close for comfort. When we briefly reunited in college, in a booze fueled talk, he mentioned that I had haunted him all those years—because he didn’t know what had caused me to leave or what he had done to make me stop talking to him. I thought it was weird at the time because I had never had that bad of a lack of closure—closure mostly denotes you care about something and at that point, although I’m not proud to admit it now, I really didn’t care much for the guys I was associating with. But then . . . karma.
               
AEG and his two years of utter silence came around. And I wondered about it. It ate me up inside—what did I do to deserve this? Where was he? Didn’t he miss me like I missed him? And I would swear to myself that I wouldn’t be whole until I had the answers to these questions. And in those two years, I’d find myself at drinks with a cute boy and AEG and those unanswered questions would creep quietly back in to my head. AEG haunted me.

               
Lack of closure can drive family members to look for the missing until they’re found. It can drive investigators to solve a crime. It can cause some of the greatest romantic novels to be written and the greatest movies to be made. It can cause some of the greatest songs to be created.
               
Closure, when it comes, is a chameleon. It’s different with everyone. It’ll hit you at the oddest times. With AEG, it wasn’t even speaking to him again—it was just the point where I didn’t care to keep asking the questions. For some, it’s when those questions are answered or when something new in their lives answers the questions for them. I sometimes wonder about Professor X and how his closure will come—how it will all work out in the end. The possibilities make my head hurt. I don’t know how it’s going to happen or when, but I know that he needs it—it’s the life raft out of this bad place his head is in. 
              
As I said, if we have to be on the HMS Misery and it’s going down, at least we’re on it together.

Round here we always stand up straight; round here, something radiates. 
||Counting Crows, "Round Here"||

If I may be allowed a slight digression (and I am, this is my blog), I laughed bitterly today when talking to Professor X about our respective situations. After weeks of both of us giving advice on perseverance, fortitude, praying, staying away from destructive impulses—I just had to laugh. Five years ago, if you would have seen us on a Friday night, we’d be a far cry from the rational, (semi)mature adults whining on the phone we are now. We were the lives of the party. We were likely challenging each other across a beer pong table, two conquerors facing off, Cleopatra and Caesar. I would have a smirk on because I knew that I was going to win the battle that night, and he was cockily self-assured because he knew he’d win the war. We’d flirt outrageously with others in the room but especially each other. And there was no mention of love, or settling down, or compassion for others. Compassion was a sign of weakness.
               
We were young. We were stupid. We had wild oats to sow. But still—the difference in the picture is striking. Like I said, it’s surprising the shoulders you find yourself crying on in life. It’s surprising where the most compassion comes from.
               
Closure, or lack of it—it’s a hell of a thing, isn’t it?
              
I leave you with Adele lyrics, because mostly, someone’s said it better, captured it better, than I ever could.


"Melt My Heart to Stone"

Right under my feet there's air made of bricks
Pulls me down turns me weak for you
I find myself repeating like a broken tune
And I'm forever excusing your intentions
And I give in to my pretendings
Which forgive you each time
Without me knowing
They melt my heart to stone

And I hear your words that I made up
You say my name like there could be an us
I best tidy up my head I'm the only one in love
I'm the only one in love

Each and every time I turn around to leave
I feel my heart begin to burst and bleed
So desperately I try to link it with my head
But instead I fall back to my knees
As you tear your way right through me
I forgive you once again
Without me knowing
You've burnt my heart to stone

And I hear your words that I made up
You say my name like there could be an us
I best tidy up my head I'm the only one in love
I'm the only one in love

Why do you steal my hand
Whenever I'm standing my own ground
You build me up, then leave me dead

Well I hear your words you made up
I say your name like there should be an us
I best tidy up my head I'm the only one in love
I'm the only one in love

No comments:

Post a Comment